Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Where did all the Coloring Books go?, Music to Help the Soul and Common Sense

Howdy Y'all!

Where did all the Coloring Books Go?
I have a SERIOUS question...where did all the coloring books go?  You know those things that are black and white and kids can color them in.  I swear, they have all disappeared.  What in the world??

My bestie Laura is having her second baby tomorrow - and I thought it would be nice to get Kennon a little gift.  I don't want ALL the attention tomorrow to be on Hayes - I just wanted to make sure that Kennon gets his time too.  I decided to pick him up some coloring books and other things...BUT there weren't any coloring books.  It makes me so sad...I LOVED those as a kid.  Instead, I got him lots of other "activity" things...I think the word "activity" is just a way for us to pay a higher price from the same old thing.  I think Kennon will be happy with my little gift for him though.



Music to Help the Soul (or at least the Self-Esteem)
My sister texted me today and said she wants to put together a CD for my niece of songs that will make her feel good about herself.  She suggested "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga and I suggested Beautiful by Christina Aguilera and maybe Unpretty by TLC, but I am out of ideas.  HELP!  What are you suggestions for positive, uplifting songs?  I would love to hear your awesome ideas!

Common Sense
I mentioned on facebook the other day about a class I attended where we worked out at the end.  It was actually a fascinating class called The Corporate Athlete and I will share a little bit of the common sense with you.  The stuff is so easy - but I guess no one ever really spelled it out for me before quite like this.  It was a class that focused on energy and how to sustain it to keep your results extraordinary.  And, of course, I always want to be extraordinary.  HA!

Managing your energy is all about managing your nutrition and movement (exercise).  Duh!

Rule #1 - Never go more than 4 hours without eating!  My friend Rhonda and I have been following this rule this week - I will let you know how I feel.

Rule #2 - Eat within one hour of waking up.  I have been following this one as well.  I have been eating a snack (more to come about that in a bit) when I get out of bed around 5 am and then I eat breakfast around 8 am.

Rule #3 - Eat before exercising - anywhere between 2 minutes and 2 hours before.  It improves energy!

Rule #4 - For your main meals of breakfast, lunch and dinner, eat 40/40/20.  1 handful of protein, 2 handfuls of grains and 2 handfuls of fruits/vegetables and don't really use the big "C" word...calories.  If you want a dessert or an adult beverages, just replace your grains with these special treats.

Rule #5 - Keep your snacks to 100-150 calories each.  This is the only time you count calories.  And, use the glycemic index to pick your snacks.  I learned some shocking things here - baked chips will make you fatter in the long run than fried chips.  Fascinating, huh?  It is because the glycemic index is higher in baked chips - and if you don't get to moving soon after eating baked chips, they will turn into fat.

Would it surprise you if I told you that snacking on Peanut or Almond M&M's (as long as you keep it to 100-150 calories) is better for you than pretzels, rice cakes, watermelon???  It is all about the glycemic index...look it up!

Other helpful hints - don't multi-task, you lose 10 IQ points when you do this and you don't gain it back until the next day (when you are probably multi-tasking once again).  Get plenty of sleep (7-8 hours).  Get some hidden movement in while you are at a meeting - get those butt clinches going.  HA!  When exercising, be sure to get three types of exercise in...flexibility, resistance and aerobic.

I guess that is enough school for today.  Class dismissed!  :)

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment